Thursday, January 2, 2014

Geeeee Wiz! How Not to GiveUP (or GiveUP at First and Then Try Hard Not to GiveUP After a While)

If more than 4 people read this silly blog on a regular basis, I might be able to call this a triumphant return, but alas, I am alone in the kitchen, Hunky Hubs returned to work today, and the children are still nestled, much as they have been for going on 2 weeks now, deep in their beds. Besides, confetti is such a pain to clean up. But, I am thrilled to say that, in celebration of my lackluster return, I am posting in one of my very favorite spaces to hang in the blogosphere with the always gracious host, Ms. Jenny Matlock and her weekly celebration of all things syllabary. Today we honor the Letter G. As in Gee, I wish I knew what to write about.

2013 was a bit of a year of transition for our family. HipsterGirl, the oldest, has been in and out of the house with college and jobs for the past couple of years, but has now (mostly) packed her things and (mostly) moved (mostly) all the way out of the house in search of broader horizons. FlyBoy, whose name shall now be MissionMan for the next 18 months, left home in July to brush up on his Tagolog for 6 weeks before heading to the rural countryside of Quezon City, Philippines to serve a full-time, two-year mission for the LDS church. EBoy and Ballerina are still at home (meaning they sleep and eat here) both of which are done with somewhat reckless abandon! I do miss having little ones around all day and spending my whole day being mostly "Mommy" but by and large, I am enjoying the transition and the growing up stage of the wee ones. The problem has been figuring out MY growing up stage!

So…I GaveUP. Mostly. I mean, I kept on with my daily routines this year and I enjoyed them and my life, but I stagnated for sure. I took comfort in the slump. I made peace with the extra few pounds. I gave up writing because it is hard. I gave up all but my routine exercise because working out hard is hard. I gave up eating the way I know I should because it is hard. I basically let anything go that was hard to do. But let me tell you, the "easy" life, is not all it's cracked up to be. In fact, it is quite boring and uninspiring. So I think I am going to try to unGiveUP for 2014. How is that for conviction!? I hate New Year's resolutions. They do not seem to work for anyone. I do like goal setting, and I do like recommitting. So, I think that is what I will call it…a New Year's recommitment to continue my Growing up process. And it is a process. Bumps and bruises are expected. Ups and Downs a given. Theoretically and statistically speaking, I am only half way there…I have much more Growing to do…hopefully it will be inward growth and not a continuation of the bit of outward growth have experienced over the last while. After all, even a good pair of yoga pants can only take so much!

Quote of the Day: “I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. If you’re making mistakes, you’re doing something,” – Neil Gaiman author



11 comments:

  1. Ahhh, so glad to have you back! I've missed you... and I can completely relate to your... desire to give up. I find transitions emotionally exhausting, especially when it comes to parenting! Our eldest (we rarely see her anymore between, school, friends, job and boyfriend) just moved out today for a house-sitting job. I miss the days of kids who gave hugs for no reason, but am slowly learning to enjoy the rare moments of clarity and connectedness with my teens. As my grandpa used to say, The first hundred years are the worst. I hope to see lots more of you in this new year! Happy 2014 to you, hunky hubs, and the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have fun growing up! Two kids at home still sounds like a lot of Mommying to do! Your post was fun to read; I hope you will continue with Alphabethursday! Happy New Year, {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year...hope to read more soon. Always enjoy your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! :) Happy new year and I am looking forward for more lovely post from you.

    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snap, Snap and Snap - are you sure you are not me?!!! Arrgh no you have one more kid than me... I have joined you to see how you cope with having one kid in far off climes, doing the wonderfully admirable thing of putting back into the world, in a way in which you always hoped that they would, but now seems rather scary as a Mum left at home with the empty room and the worry!!!!! I can tell you Yoga is good!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually WW...I am a yoga teacher...I can tell you, yoga is great!

      Delete
  6. Great post! And "Goal setting" is a great G word!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like they say, "Growing up is hard to do!"...

    It seems to me like you know what you're doing, You Go Girl!

    Thanks for linking to the letter "G" - Great job!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with all your plans for 2014 a new year is like a fresh page full of opportunities

    ReplyDelete